Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dream-honey

I found a jar of "unfiltered honey" in my kitchen. A warning label told me that I should be wary of bee parts, particularly stingers, and remove them before consumption. Now, in real life I hate honey. I can do without a bunch of pollen suspended in a ton of bee saliva. I do not like the taste or the smell or anything else about it. But something compelled me to eat this dream-honey. I got out a piece of bread and poured some out over it. Compared to real honey, dream-honey is less viscous, lighter in color, and has small grainy brown pieces of I-don't-know-what in it. With no bee parts in sight I took a bite of the sandwich. And it was delicious. It didn't have that weird bee saliva smell or taste. It was just like eating a bunch of sweet wildflowers or something.

I had a similar dream when I was a young kid about the most perfect beverage in the world. I remember living in Manhattan Beach when I had it, so I must have been between 5 and 8 years old. In my dream, the most perfect beverage in the world appeared before me. It was pale blue, sweet, and tasted vaguely of something delicious plus artificial fruit flavor. Last summer at the University of Chicago food court I spotted the dream beverage in real life. The only difference was that it was carbonated, whereas my dream beverage was not because I hated carbonated drinks back then. Carbonation is not a problem for me these days, though. It was one of those "democracy" Mountain Dews called Revolution and I don't think it won. I only ever had one bottle. Maybe fifteen years from now I will find my unfiltered honey somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. I had a somewhat similar dream in which I drank a glass of white wine, and it tasted like the nectar of the gods.

    In real life, I hate white wine. I'm more of a red kind of man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In wine class I tasted a white wine which I described on my tasting sheet as "happiness". I believe it was a late harvest German wine like a beerenauslese or something. Those tend to be expensive but you can get a decent half bottle for like $25. You should give that a try.

    ReplyDelete